Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

An Ahinga Flew Over Me

I was coming from my old trailer outside my home. I always see a little bit of a different wild creature once in awhile. When I got down the steps and headed for the new trailer, I noticed a bird flying a few feet higher than I. He was black and white in the back and had long black legs. I searched online to see what this water bird would possibly be and my mind is determined it was an Anhinga.

They are sometimes called Snake birds because of eating reptiles. They also chow down on fish and other things. They known for their beautiful plumage.and  are endangered in the state of Alabama because of poachers. If you seen one flying ahead of you, you know. Ahingas are known in this part of the country as freshwater  and salt water.

If this wasn't the bird I saw, it is still an Alabama native and they are very pretty. I wouldn't corner it due to the long neck and reflexes birds have because naturally lots of reporters were attacked by turkeys with long thin black legs underneath.

This just in from the news desk, it might have been a type of crane! Sandhill Cranes are very beautiful birds like the Ahinga. The Ahinga I noticed has small webbed feet, the Sandhill crane has long black legs. Like the Ahinga, the Sandhill Crane also eats fresh and saltwater prey. The birds are very large and they are very indigenous to the state, Middle and South America. There are subspecies in the Southeast. You can learn more about both breeds in the resources below. Please support Wikipedia and Sopa because it helps keep resources free for Americans and International Students. The Sandhill crane may be passing by through the woods, but there are a thousand people in search for Nessie and Sasquatch and everyone else says it's bullshit. Perhaps it is, perhaps it's not!

Resources

Anhiga Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anhinga

Picture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anhinga

 Herons, Storks and Large Water Birds
http://www.outdooralabama.com/watchable-wildlife/what/birds/herons/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandhill_Crane


No comments:

Post a Comment