Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Land Planarian

(Land Planarian, flatworm, bilapium kewese found on flickr.com from Martin Labar's photostream under creative commons)

This is the nastiest, meanest and ugliest worm in Alabama. It's a green, sticky and smelly flatworm. I stepped on one and I thought that I would never get it off my shoes this summer. Yuck!

 2009 was a great year for worm growers. I saw a earthworm every single step that I could possibly take. Earthworm marks were all over the ground when it was dry enough to see where they had slid along. I have seen more nasty little planarians that were around the dog's pens. These nasty hammer headed worms eat slugs, other worms, and snails. They love to eat earthworms. The earthworm is their favorite worm to eat.

    As in flatworm nature, these ugly critters multiply through asexual reproduction and sexual reproduction. You can take a knife and cut their hammer head apart and it will generate two. If you cut it in half, you'll generate two. They are really that disgusting.

     This little planarian can get twenty inches long, according to dirt doctor,
a positive note on this pest is it does rid termites, ant larvae and other larvae that might destroy your home or favorite trees.  If you don't like land planerians, you can destroy them with orange oils and vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment