Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Cooper's Hawk

I saw a beautiful bird like this on a top an old poplar or sweetgum the other day. She was perched watching for a few minutes. First thing that run through my mind was to the right, a Cooper's Hawk.

Cooper's Hawks are medium sized predatorial birds. They prey on smaller birds like mourning doves, rock doves, and mocking birds. They also prey on small reptiles and mammals. The female is larger than the male. The birds usually mate and have monogamous relationships for life like other animals in the area.

There are many types of hawks in the area, but there are two that  are mostly known as "Chicken Hawks" and those are the Cooper's Hawks and the Red Tailed  Hawks.

I kept my notes really good this morning, but as I love company, I had to put them away. The first Cooper's Hawk was seen by Charles Lucien Bonaparte,  a French naturalist in 1828. Cooper was the name the bird underwent in a later time by a New York Naturalist William Cooper.who was the founder of the New York Lyceum of Natural History (later the New York Academy Of Sciences.

The breed of hawk would be great I believe to keep the citie's pidgeon populations down since they feed on doves and those types of species. In our environment, I see an overpopulation of insects and snakes. Perhaps, there should be more breeds here to take care those things. I love seeing my mourning doves and Rock doves and I don't want anything to eat them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment