Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Sweet Crab Apple Tree

I remember the Sweet Crab Apple from my childhood. I had one at the edge of a wooded area in front of my trailer home and the blossoms would be so pretty and pink during the spring and the apples were very sour but my mom, brother, sister and I would eat them with salt. They would make your cheeks hurt so badly but somehow you just kept eating them like cutleaf blackberries and chokecherries.

When spring came, the crab apple tree also came in bloom. They were so beautiful and made a great border to the forest area. Eventhough people eat crabapples raw, i found that some also make jams and jellies out of the fruit. The fruit turns yellowish and light brown during the fall of the year. Although I've not seen the tree around awhile, many people still have them from the Southernmost part of Alabama to North Carolina. If you want to know more about Crab apples click here for a plant guide

No comments:

Post a Comment