Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, September 11, 2009

Strange Walnut Caterpillars

picture found at flickr
     This morning I got up to take my dog out because he was worrying everyone to death and I came upon this strange cluster of something. My eyes are dimmed in the morning so I can't quite figure out what this is. I looked closely at it and it was moving. This made my skin crawl to find this huge cluster of grey caterpillars hanging on a tree and they were just all over one another, heebies just talking about it! :( it's still on my mocker nut right outside. I had to find a picture of this online so you could see what this is!
    This is called a Walnut Caterpillar. It attacks trees in the Walnut family. Since the Hickory is a close cousin to the Walnut, I guess it looked like parking became jam packed on the trunk.....I thought this was some sort of poisonous caterpillar unfortunately I found out we couldn't destroy them like we wanted to we sprayed them with roach spray, then tried to set them on fire, ew, nothing helped, our paper wouldn't stay lit long enough. 
   This creepy crawler turns into a moth and sometimes those wasps, yellow jackets and other bugs we also hate eat these nasty little pests.   These nasty little pests turn to an ugly brown moth that's not so desirable either, but our birds will eat them ......hopefully!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment