Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Cutleaf Ground Cherry

(creative commons found at invasive.org)

    I happened to be on my property yesterday feeding my donkeys Star, Midnight, and Dolomite yesterday. "Praise the Lord", I said  " I thought I would not ever see this plant in my area again." I actually thought that this was first st. Job's tears, but this is a tomato! It's called a cutleaf Ground Cherry!
     This is a wild type of tomato that grows outside the roads of Alabama. It's an annual, so the plant doesn't come up every year. I found that the meadow in between my property once was full of these. I didn't see them for 11 years and I guess a bird had to help disperse a small plant near my donkeys. When these small tomatoes are ripe, they are a yellow/orange color and can be eaten by you. If you go to those gourmet shops and look around, you'll notice black ground cherries in a small brown hull. They are a delicacy. I've never tried one. I don't think I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment