Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Hypericum Perforatum

(Hypericum Perforatum found at Geneva Foundation for Medical Research credits are from Carl Axel Magnus Lindman: Bilder ur Nordens Flora (1901-1905))


   Can you imagine this plant grows directly into everyone's back yard in Central Alabama. I was taking this plant for a period of time to treat my depression by capsule form over the counter, but stopped taking this plant because of family members. I later had a milder form of antidepressant.

    Hypericum grows noxiously around Alabama. If you'll notice, this pretty little plant has pale yellow star like flowers that bloom from early spring to late fall. There is a very funny little seed pods on this plant that remind me of a peppercorn because it's a hard ovary. It's not though, it breaks apart into 3 sectioned seeds.

    Many people take this plant to calm their nerves. It's practically a very cheap form of relief for light depression, but always consult a doctor before taking anything like this because if not taken correctly you don't know the effects. One simple reason I will tell you, my last doctor informed me that this particular herb attacks the liver. Many people swear by it's properties, but it isn't necessarily for everyone.

    I noticed hyper sensitivity to sunlight when I was taking this herb in capsule form. I have very sensitive skin and a really pale porcelain skin tone. It will make your skin more prone to sunburn.

   The cousins to this plant are Rose of Sharon, and 600 more species within the Hypericum family. If you want to know a little more information about Hypericum Perforatum visit here

No comments:

Post a Comment